Shenzhen  Stuff

Someone I respect once described SZStuff as "the most troll-friendly site he'd ever been on".

I have had a pleasant few days with the forum behaving more like a forum.  Some interesting Discussions and Blogs have been around and a relative absence of trolling.  I saw that someone asked "What is a troll" so the Wiki article is here.

As it's quite a long I suppose most people won't read it all, so I've extracted a few pieces below.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

A popular early article defining and explaining the issue of Internet Trolls included the suggestion, "The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding others not to respond to trolls." The advice to ignore rather than engage with a troll is sometimes phrased as "Please do not feed the trolls."

As noted in an OS News article titled "Why People Troll and How to Stop Them" (January 25, 2012), "The traditional definition of trolling includes intent. That is, trolls purposely disrupt forums. This definition is too narrow. Whether someone intends to disrupt a thread or not, the results are the same if they do."

Two studies published in 2013 and 2014 have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism.

Do you agree that unintentional disruption is the same as intentional?

Views: 2265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have trouble working out who you're replying to, but I'm going to assume that it was me.

In this Discussion we have had replies from 1 foreign female, 3 Chinese females, 0 Chinese males and the rest from foreign males.

In a Discussion of mine for a few years back I can count 4 foreign females, 9 Chinese females, 0 Chinese males and the rest from foreign males.

In my view this has made the Forum less interesting because we see a much narrower set of opinions. In my view this is, at least partly, caused by the persistent trolling which leads the females to the conclusion that the Forum is just an extended chat-room where foreign males can insult each other.

My case rests.

Shenzhen Stuff is a localized website for people living in Shenzhen which focuses on social expansion (people you don't know already) vs. social networking (people you already know).

It used to be that but now it isn't.

Oh Cry me a river!

Do you keep a diary?

Cohabiting - Does Anyone Know the Position?

Stimulating discussions, LOL!

Another part of the problem is that people who have left SZ, but don't seem to have much else to do, are very active in the Forum.  About 60% of the comments on this Discussion are from people not in SZ.  Naturally those people are not interested in meeting new people in SZ.

You can't force people to want to be a member, though I don't look at this site the same way you do.  To me, it's not about making real life friends on here, scoring some trim or even skulking about looking at YCG photos.  It's more of a gathering of people who live or have lived in China and their thoughts on it plus other topics we seem to delve into.  Yes, it's mainly dominated by foreigners, but that's what it's all about to me. I am sure that most of the topics we discuss here, most Chinese have no experience with, but if a Chinese person (male or female) has a valid input on the topic then more power to them. FYI: Kitty has been around for a long time and as I remember, she is Chinese.

No, he's right. It's because of those damn trolls and useless contributors from outside of SZ that he can't get laid these days.

Or getting laid is all they do besides trolling SZStuff.

Which could be why they don't have much to complain about here.

Takes two sides to argue, otherwise, it's just an idiot talking to himself…

LOL, short and right on the money.

Wow, a couple of whiny old geezers who have been around since World War 2 trying to preach us on how to use online forums, LMAO!

@Ben hahaha, well said

RSS

Sponsor

© 2019   Created by Asia Stuff Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

]