Shenzhen  Stuff

Traveling within China without your passport

I recently began the renewal process for my residency permit.  There appears to be no change after the July 1 changes in the Entry/Exit regulations, except now the process takes 15 working days (previously it was five working days).

Many members have asked how they can travel without their passport during the renewal period. 

It is easy.  When you apply at the PSB for your residency renewal, your passport will be kept by the PSB.  They will provide you with an official receipt.  That receipt can be used at airports for domestic travel and for checking into hotels.

There is one trick you need to know.  When the PSB first gives you the receipt it does not contain your photograph.  This is not sufficient for travel.  All you need do is, at the same time provide them with a photograph in the approved style (same as you provided for your residency renewal) and ask them to apply it to the receipt and chop over the photograph.  Easy, and no extra charge.

With the receipt that contains your photograph and a chop over the photograph, you can now travel within China.

I know for sure, because I have done it this problem.  I have checked into multiple airplane flights using only the receipt. I traveled to a remote area of China, next to a sensitive border, I had to pass through a China internal check point and the receipt was accepted with no problem.

I do not know if this would work for travel outside of China, I suspect not, even though China might accept the receipt I doubt that a foreign country would, but this is an assumption.


Views: 938


You need to be a member of Shenzhen Stuff to add comments!

Join Shenzhen Stuff

Comment by GrandPa on July 23, 2013 at 10:43pm

@SB, as I understand your question you are asking if an a residency permit replaces the Alien Employment Permit.  No it does not, if your residency is based upon employment, then you must have first the Alien Employment Permit (or something else if you are a teacher, not sure of its name) then you can gain the Residency permit.  You might want to read some of David's blogs for more details, he is the expert.  Blogs

Comment by silent boy on July 23, 2013 at 8:47pm

may i ask, new residence permit will replace that document ?  

My Weixin is on my page
Comment by Molitor on July 22, 2013 at 8:41pm

good to know.

I've been using my social security card 医保卡 for buying train ticket and it was fine as well since there is ID number on it, I've never tried this way though to take a plane.

foreigner registration paper works as well for hotel.

Comment by GrandPa on July 18, 2013 at 8:22am

@FL, I was nervous before I tried it, but really it is easy, all officials have accepted the receipt.

@Heather, I am Wandering GrandPa...I am always traveling  :-)  Not in Shenzhen now, seldom am, but might be back next week.  Take Care young lady!

Comment by Heather Cai on July 18, 2013 at 12:11am
Are you traveling somewhere now?:) enjoy !:0
Comment by GrandPa on July 16, 2013 at 10:23am

@Mike, you are welcome.

The Receipt lists:

Name, in English


Date of birth (should be able to get your discount)

Your nationality

Passport number

Date you applied

Date you will receive your passport with new residency permit (I presume this is also the end of the validity for the receipt).

Comment by Mike46 on July 16, 2013 at 10:07am

Good to know - thanks Bill.

One question - does this document show your age?  On my recent trip to Shaanxi I get large discounts on entries to places like Huashan because I'm old - you don't qualify yet.


© 2019   Created by Asia Stuff Media.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service